Has overindulging become a Holidays tradition with you? Do family get together’s trigger stress eating and raise your blood pressure? Well, the good news is that you are not alone and real help and support is on the way. There is a simple solution to getting through this Holiday without gaining ten pounds and over eating. Just let eDiets weight loss plan convenient weight loss system and nutrition support take the worry out of watching your calories this holiday season. It is also easy to trim off some of the stress that comes along with the holidays by making sure you do just a few things for yourself. So, stop worrying and start enjoying yourself – Just follow these easy fat loss tips:
Be Prepared and Plan Ahead…
Before the party!
- Be sure to eat a high-fiber breakfast with some protein the morning of a holiday or big party. The fiber and protein will help keep you satisfied and less likely to over consume later in the day. Good choices include oatmeal with walnuts, yogurt with almonds and berries or a slice of whole wheat toast and peanut butter.
- Before going to a party, have a snack. ½ cup bean soup, two slices of turkey or a hard boiled egg with a fiber cracker are all good choices.
- Don’t “save up” your calories by eating very little the day of an event. This strategy usually backfires. You will become ravenous and will be much more likely to over indulge!
Exercise steady throughout the Holidays!
- Keep up your exercise program – do not let a hectic holiday schedule give you the excuse to abandon your workouts! Even if you need to take it down a notch keep up the good work, nothing attributes to holiday weight gain like lack of exercise.
- Plan some non-food get together’s with friends, such as a skating party or a long neighborhood walk to enjoy the holiday lights..Remember that not everything has to revolve around food….
- Be sure to get enough sleep. Lack of sleep causes overeating! Staying up late shopping online may just be making you more likely to eat that doughnut in the office. Give yourself a bed time and stick to it then make sure to have a high protein power breakfast before starting your day!
Beware of long shopping days!
- Keeping portion-controlled goodies in your bag will make tempting fast food snacks like giant pretzels and greasy cheeseburgers easier to resist after a long afternoon of shopping. Stick walnuts or almonds in a ziploc bag with two dried plums or apricots for a quick power boost that will be sure to encourage your weight loss program, trade in that calorie rich latte for a hot cup of herbal tea. If you must eat out make sure to opt for a meal with less than 300 calories, at least 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein.
- If long shopping days throw off your night-time routine of prepping dinner, keep some staples on hand to make quick fix meals. Some of these foods are: High protein – low fat deli meat, low-fat, low- sodium soups, fresh vegetables, prepared chicken breast, hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit.
What to Eat and Drink with all this Decadent Food Around?
- Think Thin before you eat.
- If food is served buffet-style, survey the offerings before getting in line. Make decisions about what you’ll take ahead of time and take one trip.
- Fill your plate with veggies, whatever lean protein options exist and a small portion of the starchy foods or fatty bite-sized appetizers.
- Go slow! Pay attention to what you are eating, and the speed at which you eat. Eat slowly and savor each bite! Listen to your body and STOP eating when you are slightly satisfied.
- Make “ Health Conscious Indulgences”
- Don’t eat mindlessly. Choose the one indulgent item you really care about and have a small portion – pass on the rest!
- Be aware that alcohol is absorbed quickly on an empty stomach. This can lower our defenses and make it much easier to dive head first into the cheese platter. Have something to eat prior to that first drink and to stay hydrated and keep alcohol calories down, drink a glass of water or club soda between alcoholic drinks.
- Opt for lower calorie beverages and mixers. Some include: light beer, wine, wine spritzers or drinks made with club soda.
- A single shot of vodka, gin, or rum mixed with club soda and a squeeze of lime will set you back only about 100 calories. Other fruity drinks can be up to five times this amount!
- Champagne or pink Prosecco are both great options too. Not only are they low on the calorie chart—around 80 to 120 per glass—but they feel more festive too!
- Maximize Low Fat Leftovers and Toss The Rest.
- When you use leftovers you are not only cutting waste, but you can also help to cut calories. For example, use that fresh turkey from the big holiday meal and throw it over a spinach salad or slice ham and add to an egg white omelet the next morning. Make it a point to send your guest home with left overs as well.
- Talk more than Eat!
- If you’re planted next to the food table, you’ll shovel cheese and dip into your mouth all night long. So start your conversation with your friend or family member far on the other side of the room.
- Focus on people! Make it a point to visit with everyone you know at the gathering. Shift your attention towards socializing with others rather than eating.
- Sit down when you are eating and focus on whomever is seated next to you. This can help eliminate mindless grazing.
- Socializing with friends and being around people you care about lowers stress level and creates balance in your life. So remember: use the party to get a little nourishment, but most of all to catch up with old friends and family or become acquainted with new ones. This is the best nourishment of all!
- Make it a point to keep to your eDiets prepared food plan when in between holiday parties. This will keep your fat loss in high gear while you effortlessly enjoy the festivities of the Holiday Season.
Happy, healthy holidays to all!